New Sites on the Web from Week of July 2, 2001
- CyberX 3D - CyberX-3D(TM) technology allows users to submit a single digitized photo of their face to a secure website. The image is automatically analyzed, distinct facial landmarks are identified, and a highly accurate 3D model of the user's face is created within just one second. A unique file is generated and returned to the user, which is then "read" by the video game software or other applications.
- EFENews - Agencia EFE announces the launch of EFENews, the new web site for its English Language News Service. The new site will highlight news on Latin America and on U.S. Hispanics, while continuing to provide coverage of major news developments around the world. Agencia EFE maintains news bureaus in 170 cities located in more than 100 countries and on a daily basis generates some 4,000 stories in a variety of formats. Its 40 information services are transmitted daily in Spanish, English, Catalan, Arabic and will soon be available in Portuguese for Brazil.
- MyPettribute.com - Focused on providing timely, accurate and useful information about animal health problems and end-of-life issues to people with mature pets. The Web site's goal is to offer comprehensive information, resources, web tools, products and services - both on-line and off - for pet owners and for veterinary practice professionals.
- Wild Horse and Burro Internet Adoption - Find a gallery of pintos, appaloosas, burros and other wild horses culled from the estimated 50,000 that roam the American West. Pony up a $125 deposit and convince the Bureau of Land Management's Karen Malloy that you've got a suitable corral, and you could very well find yourself leaning on a virtual fence post at a 21st century holding pen. To avoid overcrowding, the BLM rounds up about 20 percent of the herd each year by helicopter and auctions them off. While most of the 6,000 or so horses are sold in live auctions around the country, the BLM sells about 100 animals per year online.
- The Declaration of Independence - On July 2, 1776 the Continental Congress adopted a resolution, introduced by Richard Henry Lee and John Adams, declaring independence from Great Britain: "Resolved, That these United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent states, that they are absolved from all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the state of Great Britain is, and ought to be, totally dissolved." A Declaration, explaining why the Colonies declared their independence, was adopted on July 4, and that day goes down in history.
- EUR-lex - The European Union has launched a new Web portal, which acts as a gateway to EU legal texts, laws and legislation. The portal's goal is it to help make the legal aspects of the European Union more accessible and transparent by presenting legal data in a coherent format. Offers harmonized search functions for numerous types of EU legal documents, such as the EU's daily Official Journal, proposed legislation, adopted legislation, case-law, parliamentary questions and other documents of public interest.
- FertilityWorld.org - The first worldwide on-line portal dedicated to the infertility patient community. The site addresses the complex issues of infertility from not only a medical perspective, but also provides practical information such as the first steps of consultancy and counseling, cost of treatment and contact lists for region specific support groups.
- PC Magazine Online - PC Magazine Online is the most trusted and comprehensive source for product reviews, performance tests and evaluations. Features completely new content, a new editorial team and a new look. In addition, in an unusual move to retain its loyal users the site has added a downloadable utility called FreshMarks(TM). Freshmarks ensures that users get directed to Ziff Davis Media's new PC Magazine Online site when trying to access it through their bookmarks.
- NewsGurus.com - The site that delivers the information you need to effectively manage your money, your health and your life—your way. Delivers to you fresh, insightful, provocative content produced by the best minds in their fields and by enabling you to customize the site so that it immediately delivers the information you need, bypassing content in which you have no interest.
- Minnesota Institute of Public Health (MIPH) - Founded in 1972, as a non-profit organization, MIPH delivers public health research and programming services to Minnesota communities through project work commissioned by federal and state agencies, foundations and other groups. MIPH works with individuals and organizations to safeguard and protect the public's health. Visitors to the site will be able to get clear information about alcohol, tobacco and other drugs, view or add to a calendar of Minnesota prevention events, review legislative updates and stay up to date with substance abuse news events and project.
- Elderhostel - A not-for-profit organization dedicated to serving the educational needs of older adults, ages fifty-five and over. The educational adventure programs are a fun and exciting way for you to share new ideas, explore new places, and make new friends. Utilizing an international network of over 1,900 colleges, universities, conference centers museums and many other educational and cultural institutions, Elderhostel offers more than 10,000 programs on a vast array of subjects in more than 100 countries around the world.
- WizardWorld.com - The online source for price guides and keeping track of what you collect. The Web site provides individuals, collectors and dealers a single community in which to enjoy and share their passion for collecting. With an initial focus on comic books, action figures, Magic: The Gathering, Pokémon and collectible card games, WizardWorld.com addresses the interests and needs of collectors. Users have free access to premier collectibles content and tools including: up-to-the-minute price guides, breaking news, market analysis, contests, events, chat, picture galleries and exclusive product offerings.
- Imperial Home Decor Group (IHDG) - A manufacturer and marketer of wallcoverings. IHDG designed its new corporate web site to help consumers learn about wallcoverings, find a solution to their decorating needs, stay in tune with the hottest design trends and find a retailer in their area. Consumers can now browse through thousands of sidewall and border patterns, and can make quick and easy selections and view room scenes to see how designs will look in an actual room.
- Enchanted Learning - Offers educational material in a fun way that emphasizes creativity on your child's part. Topics include maps, crafts, picture dictionaries, Mother Goose rhymes, coloring pages, various games and jokes related to specific topics such as dinosaurs Each page within the site includes colorful illustrations or even photos, and the site is easy enough for a school-age child to navigate on his or her own.
- African Art Museum - The African Art Museum online reference is an ambitious site with a satisfying number of images and amount of information on the art and background of more than 100 African tribes, from the Ambete to the Zukuma. Items on display include wooden and bronze statues, masks, religious, ritual and domestic objects, furniture and weapons. Learnabout art, culture and history of each ethnic group.
Copyright © 2001 SearchtheWeb.com, Inc. All rights reserved.
SearchtheWeb™ and SearchtheWeb.com™ are Trademarks of